Re: Azhdarchidae (Pterosauria) review monograph (free pdf)

Thanks to Ben, as always, for the heads up on a new paper.

I just read through the paper this morning, and it is a rather exhaustive
review of localities and specimens, which is really useful. I am, however,
perplexed by the comment that azhdarchids were “most common in nearshore marine
paleoenvironments” (in the abstract and the discussion of the manuscript) given
that 65% of the remains are from environments other than coastal marine. Sure,
the 35% coastal marine is the single largest category given the way the
taphonomic environments are split up, but if you were to look at them as
ecological settings, then the coastal systems would be split into several
categories and the lacustrine and fluvial plain deposits (for example) might
very well have been pretty similar places to live. Perhaps I am missing
something critical here (as I don’t do a lot of taphonomy), but it seems like
the breakdown really says “usually preserved by water, and can be inland or
marine, because there were all over the place”.

Thoughts?

—Mike

Michael Habib
Assistant Professor of Cell and Neurobiology
Keck School of Medicine of USC
University of Southern California
Bishop Research Building; Room 403
1333 San Pablo Street, Los Angeles 90089-9112

Research Associate, Dinosaur Institute
900 Exposition Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90007

https://plus.google.com/+MichaelHabib/about
biologyinmotion@gmail.com
(443) 280-0181