Re: Tyrannosaur play + "hypsilophodont" "setigerous scales" + other papers

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Many thanks to Josep Fortuny for providing a corrected translation of
the Russian abstract for Vyushkoviana. Obviously, many passages make
more sense in this version than in the one I quickly cobbled together:

M. A. Shishkin, I. V. Novikov, and J. Fortuny (2014)
New bystrowianid chronosuchians (Amphibia, Anthracosauromorpha) from
the Triassic of Russia and diversification of Bystrowianidae.
Paleontological Journal 48 (5) : 60-71 (Russian edition)
DOI: 10.7868/S0031031X14050092
http://www.maikonline.com/maik/showArticle.do?auid=VAHYSO8TZP&lang=ru

The first bystrowianids recorded in the Gamskian Horizon of the East
European Platform, Vyushkoviana operta gen. et sp. nov. and
Dromotectum abditum sp. nov. (Amphibia, Chroniosuchia), are described
based on specimens from the Malaya Northern Dvina and Don river
basins. The patterns of the dermal scute evolution observed in
bystrowianids warrant the subdivision of the group into the
subfamilies Bystrowianinae Vjuschkov, Dromotectinae subfam. nov. and
Axitectinae subfam. nov. The second and third show progressive
reduction of the external (paraxial) zone of the interosteoderm
articulation. New data supporting close proximity or phyletic
succession of the chroniosuchid and bystrowianid types of the
osteoderm design are revealed. The concept of the Chroniosuchidae as a
paraphyletic group is rejected. Evolutionary significance of the key
features distinguishing the bystrowianid subfamilies is analyzed.