Re: Hypselospinus (Iguanodontia) from Early Cretaceous of Britain revised

Brad McFeeters <archosauromorph2@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What Norman recovers here is a new version of Hypsilophodontia that includes
> Hypsilophodon,
> Tenontosaurus, and Rhabdodontidae. The tenontosaur-rhabdodontid clade was
> also recovered in the
> analysis presented by Karen Poole at SVP, but IIRC her poster had this clade
> moving "up" within
> Iguanodontia from its traditional position, closer to hadrosaurs than
> dryosaurs (the abstract
> isn't clear on this, so I'm just going on memory about that). So Norman's
> result is unique as
> far as I know at least for modern cladistic analyses. Norman's text explains
> that
> thescelosaurids jeholosaurids, Gasparinisaura, etc. are NOT
> hypsilophodontians, but instead are
> non-clypeodontan neornithischians. However, they are not actually included in
> the phylogenetic
> analysis, which uses Lesothosaurus as the only non-clypeodont. Clypeodonta is
> introduced as a
> new Infraorder (yes) of ornithopods, for the clade Hypsilophodon +
> Edmontosaurus. Notably
> absent from this paper is any mention of the ornithopods Anabisetia,
> Talenkauen,
> Macrogryphosaurus, Gideomantellia, or Trinisaura.  How might their inclusion
> affect Norman's
> "fundamental split" of clypeodonts?

It's an excellent question.  Especially because at least two of the
genera you mention have been referred to a new ornithopod clade called
the Elasmaria.  In fact, a whole bunch of ornithopods are conspicuous
by their absence - including the orodromines (those weird digging
ornithopods).

Odd that Norman (in this paper and others) mentions _Othnielia_ rather
than _Othnielosaurus_ (contra Galton, 2007).  Is this an oversight -
or does Norman believe that the _Othnielia rex_ holotype is valid?

In passing, it would also be great to one day have a decent
description of _Drinker_.  (Although I certainly do not blame Norman
in any way for that particular omission.)

Cheers
Tim

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Brad McFeeters