Re: Hypselospinus (Iguanodontia) from Early Cretaceous of Britain revised

The misuse of "nomen dubium" is systemic in paleontology. It's not
used consistently, as though multiple ideas are warring for rightness.
Some erroneously try to cite the ICZN for validation; others use it to
mean a non-diagnostic name-bearing type; yet others use it (more
prevalently) for a name you wish to sink into others. I covered this
more here:
http://qilong.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/what-if-anything-is-a-nomen-dubium/

It doesn't matter what you work on. You'll tend to misuse the term if
you feel "right" and the other "wrong." Tossing the term aside as a
mere form of art will be preferable, as it is art stacked on art, a
frame to a picture without any supportive or protective component.
Imagine walking in a museum and while traveling through the galleries
you hear, "Oh, look how pretty this frame is, this must be an
important painting!" It is no less true of taxonomy, and the term of
art, "nomen dubium" runs afoul of the same errors that continue use of
rank-based nomenclature, or ranks themselves. It is particularly
notable that Norman misuses both.

--
Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff: http://qilong.wordpress.com/

"Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth" - P. B. Medawar (1969)