Re: Hypselospinus (Iguanodontia) from Early Cretaceous of Britain revised

Mickey Mortimer wrote:

< A term meaning "a taxon that cannot be referred to a valid species
because it cannot be distinguished from two or more species" is a
useful concept to have, so I think it's worth fighting for instead of
tossing it aside.>

That is a useful concept! But unfortunately it's not actually how the
term has been applied. So far, that term hasn't been defended by the
definition in print _at all_, which means getting people to look at an
effective philosophical argument for proper use of the term is going
to be hard. It's also not now "95%" of papers use it. They approximate
it by having a similar effect, but not function; throw a wrench and
the effect would differ, or they'd ad hoc it to make them conform. The
usage becomes about result, and not proper definition.