Re: Spinosaur tooth found in Malaysia and other news

I think that this has always been suggested by researchers (at least
unofficially) given the proximity of spinosaurs to large bodies of waters,
along with their apparent adaptations for piscivory.

More recently a study on the oxygen isotope composition of spinosaur bones
indicated that they were doing something quite different from coeval theropods
(Amiot et al. 2010). The similarity in O2 composition to that of contemporary
semi-aquatic crocs and turtles lead Amiot et al. to conclude that spinosaurs
were probably semi-aquatic too.

Jason

Reference

Amiot, R., Buffetaut, E., Lecuyer, C., Wang, X., Boudad, L., Ding, Z., Fourel,
F., Hutt, S., Martineua, F., Medeiros, M.A., Mo, J., Simon, L., Suteethorn, V.,
Sweetman, S., Tong, H., Zhang, F., Zhou, Z. 2010. Oxygen Isotope Evidence for
Semi-Aquatic Habits Among Spinosaurid Theropods. Geology. Vol. 38(2):139–142.