curious observation on turkey vultures today

A squirrel had bit the dust from some reason - it was in the street in front of
my house - may have fallen or hit by a car with a glancing blow.

Four large 'buzzards' landed later in the day in my trees and a neighbors.
Yet, despite no cars around or kids/dogs running amok, they eventually just
flew away.

Are they waiting on the squirrel carcass to age like some brands of Swiss
cheese?  :-)

I'd have thought if they were that interested they'd have consumed the squirrel
rather quickly.

What sort of disturbance in their environment would make them leave?