Re: Gastornis bone isotopes indicate herbivorous diet

On Mon, Feb 24th, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Hammer <hammeris1@att.net> wrote:

> That's news to me - is this known basically everywhere, or is it related to a
> specific
> continent?  Interesting.

Cows usually only resort to eating animals when they're suffering serious
mineral deficiencies.

http://www.livestockforlandscapes.com/pdfs/CowsEatRabbits.pdf

It's thought that deer eat birds (or even rabbits) when they need extra
minerals to regrow antlers.
Deer on some isolated mineral-poor islands will eat bird eggs or young chicks
on a regular basis.

http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzoology/2010/12/20/carnivory-in-cows-and-deer/

Dann Pigdon