Course on shape analysis of 3D data, Barcelona, Spain, May 2014

Dear colleagues,

Registration is open for the following courses (SVP, EAVP, APA and SEP members
have a 20 % discount):

- 3D GEOMETRIC MORPHOMETRICS - Fourth edition; May 20-24, 2014. Instructor: Dr.
Lissa Tallman (Grand Valley State University, USA).
Website: http://www.transmittingscience.org/courses/gm/3d-gm/

This course is entitled to teach the main concepts of shape analysis based on
three-dimensional landmark  coordinates. In this workshop we you will learn to
manipulate 3D models and use them to collect landmark  data, take measurements,
and to quantify and visualize the main differences in shape.

- STUDYING ONTOGENY AT DIFFERENT LEVELS USING GEOMETRIC MORPHOMETRICS - Second
edition; May 26-28, 2014. . Instructor: Dr. Kieran McNulty ((University of
Minnesota, USA).
Website: http://www.transmittingscience.org/courses/gm/ontogeny-and-gm/

This course will give emphasis on using Geometric Morphometrics to address
questions related to growth, development, and evolution. Simple
characterizations of multivariate ontogeny will give way to more complicated
methods for visualizing and comparing different patterns of growth and
development. From here, we will take up the idea of changes in ontogeny as a
mechanism for producing evolutionary change. We will end by discussing the
difficulties and misconceptions in interpreting morphometric analyses of
ontogeny, and introduce some of the advanced topics in ontogeny that
morphometricians are beginning to address.

These courses will be held in  Els Hostalets de Pierola, Barcelona (Spain) and
are organized by Transmitting Science, the Institut Catalá de Paleontologia
Miquel Crusafont and de Centre de Restauració i Interpretació Paleontologica de
Els Hostalets de Pierola.  For more information you can write to
courses@transmittingscience.org.

Please feel free to distribute this information between your colleagues if you
consider it appropriate.

With best regards

Soledad De Esteban Trivigno
Area de Paleobiología