RE: Ichthyosaurs and mosasaurs had dark skin pigments

> I can't get this paper and the methods probably would be beyond my technical
> ability by some measure to follow, but for those of
you
> 'in the know' can this technique be used for skin fossils/impressions of
> land-living dinos?

Jaime Headden has some good comments on FB about this paper, which hopefully
will be repeated here.

But this is the same technique as used in finding the colors (or at least the
'paint pot' aspect of color) in Sinosauropteryx,
Anchiornis, Microraptor, etc. Unless you have carbonized or mineralized skin or
feathers, it won't work. Just skin impressions won't
do it.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216