Re: Archaeopteryx feathers and origin of flight based on 11th specimen

In addition, it isn’t altogether clear that the “resting state” for feathers of
the limbs is symmetry - when tarsal feathers are induced in chicken models, the
distal ones are often slightly asymmetric. The genetics of feather asymmetry
also turn out to involve fewer loci than expected (based on work by Cheng-Ming
Chuong and colleagues). So it may be that the earliest primaries were already
somewhat asymmetric, and that variation was relative extensive. (In fact, there
is a great deal of variation in feather asymmetry within living flying birds).

—Mike