Re: Kulindapteryx and Daurosaurus, new hypsilophodont ornithopods from Upper Jurassic of Siberia, Russia

Ben Creisler <bcreisler@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought I had misread the grammar in the new article abstract since
> it sounded odd to say that dermal scales were divided into bristles.

It does sound odd, but interestingly, it would be quite close to what
is sometimes seen in modern birds. According to Thulborn (1984: 144),
Rawles (1960) illustrated "the foot of an 8-week-old fowl, with
completed down feathers emerging from the edges of its scales".

Of course, the formal English translation of the paper (or even access
to the full text of the Russian version) would help immensely.

> Dlya gipsilofodontii [genitive plural?] ustanovleno [neuter] nalichie
> [nominative neuter noun] razdelennykh [genitive plural] na
> “shchetinki” [accusative plural] kozhnykh cheshui [genitive plural].

"Ustanovleno" is a passive participle of the verb ustanovit' (to
establish), just as in your English translation, not a neuter noun.
Aside from that, your analysis is entirely correct.

*Refs:*

Rawles ME 1960 The integumentary system. 189--240 _in_ Marshall AJ,
ed. _Biology and Comparative Physiology of Birds_. London: Acad Press

Thulborn RA 1984 The avian relationships of _Archaeopteryx_, and the
origin of birds. Zool J Linn Soc 82: 119--58

--
David Černý