Bristle-like scales in ornithischian dinosaurs (paper by Saveliev & Alifanov)

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

I just came across this recent paper in English (I don't have the pdf)
that sheds light on the "bristles" described by Alifanov and Saveliev
(2014) for their two proposed new "hypsilophodont" taxa. The first two
pages of the text can be previewed in the Look Inside box and the
references can be viewed below. I'm sorry I missed this paper before I
tried to translate the Russian abstract. This makes their ideas a bit
clearer.

S. V. Saveliev & V. R. Alifanov (2014)
A new type of skin derivatives in Ornithischian dinosaurs from the
late Jurassic of Transbaikalia (Russia).
Doklady Biological Sciences 456(1): 182-184
DOI: 10.1134/S0012496614030053
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1134/S0012496614030053

No abstract but this passage from the text will do:

Integumentary remains of ornithischian dinosaurs are usually
represented by bristle-like outgrowths, which are arranged on the
matrix surfaces either chaotically or in bunches or regular groups of
varying density. Some samples show the basal portion of the "bristles"
in the form of a small plate with a rounded proximal end. One plate
can give rise to several outgrowths of various lengths. We proposed to
call these integumentary structures "bristle-like scales." No such
structures have previously been found in association with ornithopod
or ornithischian remains.

[This appears to explain the "dermal scales divided into 'bristles'"
that made me question my original (and, as it turned out, accurate)
initial translation.]