Re: Bristle-like scales in ornithischian dinosaurs (paper by Saveliev & Alifanov)

I have access to the paper. If anyone needs it feel free to e-mail me offlist.

There is only one other page beyond the preview content, and it doesn't say too
much more. The authors argue for including ornithischians in the "feathered
dinosaur" camp, but their interpretation of the structures (note: there are
only drawings in the paper, no images of the actual fossils) goes against what
we currently know of feather development (e.g., Sawyer and Knapp 2003,
Dhouailly 2009) in which feathers form from scale primordia—halting scale
development entirely. It seems much more likely that we are seeing a case of
convergence between coelurosaurs and some ornithischians, which explains why
the structures are similar, but far from identical.

I suspect the upcoming paper from Godefroit et al. (which should include
evo-devo researcher Danielle Dhouailly) should have more details on this
(including the pictures of the damned fossils themselves). It will be
interesting to see if the interpretations are different.

Jason

Dhouailly, D. 2009. A New Scenario for the Evolutionary Origin of Hair,
Feather, and Avian Scales. J.Anat. Vol.214:587-606.

Sawyer, R.H., Knapp, L.W. 2003. Avian Skin Development and the Evolutionary
Origin of Feathers. J.Exp.Zool.(Mol.Dev.Evol) Vol.298B:57-72.

http://reptilis.net