Re: Changyuraptor, new big microraptorine theropod from Early Cretaceous of China

Thanks to Kevin for the excellent commentary on our manuscript. We declined to
explicit support either a more arboreal/gliding or WAIR/powered model for
exactly the reasons Kevin notes - a combination of limited forewing
preservation (which is why we left out commentary on the matter) and polarizing
opinions we thought best to stay clear of in this case.

As a quick follow-up to the gliding prospects: I (and at least most of my
co-authors) agree entirely that a sprawling mode for the hind limbs is
extremely unlikely (at best) in microraptorines. However, this may not speak
directly to the validity of a general gliding model (though it does speak
strongly against the original “tetrapteryx” glider concept). The hind limb
feather surfaces have broad, low-aspect planforms that are suitable as control
surfaces producing both roll and yaw when held below the body (through a
combination of high drag and high lift - it should be noted that lift can be
oriented in any direction that is perpendicular to flow). These sorts of
control options are advantageous in both a gliding and a WAIR/descent model, so
I remain cautious in suggesting that the non-sprawling models necessarily speak
to one or the other.

[It is possible that microraptorines used the forelimbs to support their weight
during arboreal gliding, with the hind wings providing control authority in
roll and yaw, and the tail providing control authority in pitch (the latter
being particularly important for animals with long torsos, since the center of
mass tends to be somewhat caudally located relative to the wings). It is, of
course, also quite possible that that same control authority was used with
behaviors like WAIR and flapping descent. The latter does have the advantage of
providing an explicit model for flight stroke evolution.]

To expand briefly on Kevin’s excellent point about thrust production: in living
powered flyers, the wing undergoes twist during the flight stroke (both
phases). During the downstroke phase, this twist reorients much of the lift
from the distal wing to produce thrust instead of weight support. The trick is
that the distal wing can also provide weight support at lower degrees of twist
(as is the case in soaring flight, for example). One thing that might be worth
looking at in paravians, in addition to the feather structure and location, are
the adaptations for twisting the distal wing. If “twistiness” shows up before
large wing areas (either ontogenetically or evolutionarily) in microraptorines,
then it would support hypotheses such as flapping-descent and other non-gliding
first, early flight stroke models. Unfortunately, the new Changyuraptor
specimen doesn’t preserve the required distal wing anatomy to test this idea,
but other specimens may be promising.

Cheers,

—Mike