Group name suffixes

[re-sent because the post does not register on DML]

This question regards use of non-formal names for groups/clades, which I hope
can be clarified.

When discussing a natural group, such as Sauropodomorpha, the typical reference
to it in most contexts seems to be simply by appending an 's' to the end.

E.g., "there are several sauropods known from the Morrison Formation"
"..the sauropodomorphs Plateosaurus and Unaysaurus are sister taxa"
"Unlike the known bipedal ornithopods from DPF, the pachycephalosaurs are...

However, I've very occasionally come across in the published literature a few
cases where an '-ans' is suffixed to the formal group name to derive the casual
use - i.e., sauropodans, ornithopodans, sauropodomorphans.

Does anyone know 1, why one style if any might be incorrect; 2, and if both are
acceptable, then what if any are the circumstances where one style must only be
used over the other.

I can see a use of the '-ans' suffix specifically as an adverb when referring
to phylogenetic outgroups -- e.g., "...Lesothosaurus is a non-ornithopodan
ornithischian" -- but don't see why this must be so.

Note that in regards to Dinosauria, I'm not too concerned about choice use of
'dinosaurs' vs 'dinosaurians'