Re: ornithopodans vs ornithopods

William Gearty <williams.gearty@yale.edu> wrote:

> Well, first, it is probably important to note that Sauropoda and
> Saurpodomorpha are different phylogenetic groups, as are Ornithopoda and
> Ornithopodamorpha.

I don't know 'Ornithopodamorpha' had ever been formally proposed.
Also, with current phylogenies paring back the 'traditional'
membership of Ornithopoda (such that many 'traditonal' ornithopods are
now considered basal neornithischians), it's unlikely that
Ornithopodamorpha will ever get a guernsey.

> I would think it would make everything much easier to stick to only one
> suffix to indicate the casual case of a formal group.

I think in some cases the choice of suffix has become a matter of
either tradition or personal preference.  However, what's important is
that the spelling of the clade name is inviolate: Dinosauria,
Theropoda, Avialae, Ornithurae, etc.  In English, derivative nouns
change according to taste.  So we may have both "dinosaurians" and
"dinosaurs", although the latter seems to be overwhelmingly preferred.
For Avialae, I've seen both "avialans" and "avialians" in usage - I
don't think there is a 'standard' conversion of the clade name to a
common noun.  For Ornithurae, I've seen both "ornithurans" and
"ornithurines", with the latter preferred by most people - although I
personally prefer "ornithurans" (as well as "tetanurans" over
"tetanurines").  Then again, I also use "enantiornithean" in
preference to "enantiornithine" for a member of clade Enantiornithes,
since "enantiornithine" could be applied to a theoretical
'subfamily'-level clade Enantiornithinae; but as long as it's clear
that Enantiornithes is the clade being denoted, there shouldn't be a
problem.

BTW, this suffix problem is not an issue for all languages.  In
German, for example, a member of clade Theropoda will always be
"Theropoden" - and the plural will be the same (although the preceding
definite article will change: die Theropoden).

Cheers

Tim

--
William Gearty
Yale University | Branford College '14

--001a11c2e396ef8fbc04ff493697

*    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *