Re: A trivial question

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Here is rough set of lists of the most common species names for
non-avian dinosaurs. I have left out Mesozoic birds, track names, and
egg names. I decided that at least 5 examples were needed to make the
lists. I hope I caught all synonyms with later names. Minor
grammatical adjustments for gender are ignored.

Lists are in chronological order since this is really an historical
rather than a scientific issue.

SIZE NAMES

10 gracilis

Laosaurus gracilis Marsh, 1878

Ornithomerus gracilis Seeley, 1881

Coelurus gracilis Marsh, 1888

Sphenospondylus gracilis Lydekker, 1888

Leptoceratops gracilis Brown, 1914

Dromicosaurus gracilis Hoepen, 1920

Barosaurus gracilis Janensch, 1961

Chonchoraptor gracilis Barsbold, 1986

Sellosaurus gracilis Huene, 1907-08

Pradhania gracilis Kutty, Chatterjee, Galton & Upchurch, 2007

===

9 robustus

Bothriospondylus robustus Owen, 1875

Marmarospondylus robustus Owen, 1875

Morosaurus robustus Marsh, 1878

Mochlodon robustus Nopcsa, 1900

Gigantosaurus robustus Fraas, 1908 [Janenschia robusta  (Fraas, 1908)]

Titanosaurus robustus Huene, 1929 [Saltasaurus robustus (Huene, 1929)]

Yunnanosaurus robustus Young, 1951

Gresslyosaurus robustus Huene, 1907-08

Saurornitholestes robustus Sullivan, 2006

===

7 giganteus

Antarctosaurus giganteus Huene, 1929

Pachysaurus giganteus Huene, 1932 [Pachysauriscus giganteus (Huene, 1932) ]

Dyoplosaurus giganteus Maleev, 1956 [Tarchia gigantea (Maleev, 1956)]

Shantungosaurus giganteus Hu, 1973

Cetiosaurus giganteus Owen [ex Huxley,  1870]

Hagryphus giganteus Zanno & Sampson, 2005

Losillasaurus giganteus Casanovas, Santafe & Sanz, 2001

==

6 magnus

Bothriospondylus magnus Owen, 1875

Lufengosaurus magnus Young, 1947

Amtosaurus magnus Kurzanov & Tumanova, 1978

Pachysaurus magnus Huene, 1907-08  [Pachysauriscus magnus (Huene,
1907-08)] [Plateosaurus]

Yangchuanosaurus magnus Dong,  Zhou,  & Zhang, 1983

Zhuchengtyrannus magnus Hone, Wang, Sullivan, Zhao, Chen, Li, Ji, Ji & Xu, 2011

==

6 maximus

Prosaurolophus maximus Brown, 1916

Triceratops maximus Brown, 1933

Saurophagus maximus Ray, 1941

Saurophaganax maximus Chure, 1995 [different type specimen from
Saurophagus maximus Ray, 1941]

Zhuchengosaurus maximus Zhao et al, 2007

Aeolosaurus maximus Santucci & de Arruda-Campos, 2011

==

5 grandis

Apatosaurus grandis Marsh, 1877 [Camarasaurus]

Ornithomimus grandis Marsh, 1890

Dryptosauroides grandis Huene, 1932

Polyodontosaurus grandis Gilmore, 1932

Beishanlong grandis Makovicky, Li, Gao, Lewin, Erickson & Norell, 2010

==

5 agilis

Hadrosaurus agilis Marsh, 1872 [Claosaurus agilis (Marsh, 1872)]

Nanosaurus agilis Marsh, 1877

Coelurus agilis Marsh, 1884

Morosaurus agilis Marsh, 1889

Deltadromeus agilis Sereno, Dutheil, Iarochene, Larsson, Lyon,
Magwene, Sidor, Varricchio & Wilson, 1996

=======

GEOGRAPHIC NAMES

13 mongoliensis

Protiguanodon mongoliensis Osborn, 1923 [for error mongoliense]

Psittacosaurus mongoliensis Osborn, 1923

Asiatosaurus mongoliensis Osborn, 1924

Prodeinodon mongoliensis Osborn, 1924 [for error mongoliense]

Saurornithoides mongoliensis Osborn, 1924

Velociraptor mongoliensis Osborn, 1924

Mandschurosaurus mongoliensis Gilmore, 1933 [Gilmoreosaurus
mongoliensis (Gilmore, 1933)]

Nemegtosaurus mongoliensis Nowinski, 1971

Adasaurus mongoliensis Barsbold, 1983

Oviraptor mongoliensis Barsbold, 1986

Enigmosaurus mongoliensis Barsbold & Perle, 1983

Gobivenator mongoliensis Tsuihiji et al., 2014

Graciliceratops mongoliensis Sereno, 2000

===

7 sinensis

Tanius sinensis Wiman, 1929

Gyposaurus sinensis Young, 1941

Psittacosaurus sinensis Young, 1958

Dilophosaurus sinensis Hu, 1993

Qianzhousaurus sinensis Lü et al., 2014

Dongyangosaurus sinensis Lu, Azuma, Chen, Zheng & Jin, 2008

Gannansaurus sinensis Lu, Yi, Zhong & Wei, 2013

==

7 gobiensis

Microceratops gobiensis Bohlin, 1953

Probactrosaurus gobiensis Rozhdestvensky, 1966

Klamelisaurus gobiensis Zhao, 1993

Nomingia gobiensis Barsbold, Osmolska, Watabe, Currie & Tsogtbaatar, 2000

Wulatelong gobiensis Xu, Tan, Wang, Sullivan, Hone, Han, Ma, Tan & Xiao, 2013

Psittacosaurus gobiensis Sereno, Zhao & Tan, 2010

Amtocephale gobiensis Watabe, Tsogtbaatar & Sullivan, 2011

==

6 valdensis

Stenopelix valdensis Meyer, 1857

Vectisaurus valdensis Hulke, 1879

Camptosaurus valdensis Lydekker, 1889

Pleurocoelus valdensis Lydekker, 1889

Titanosaurus valdensis Huene, 1929

Wyleyia valdensis Harrison & Walker, 1973

===

6 africanus

Gigantosaurus africanus Fraas, 1908 [Barosaurus africanus (Fraas, 1908)]

Gryponyx africanus Broom, 1911

Palaeoscincus africanus Broom, 1912 [Paranthodon africanus (Broom, 1912)]

Euskelosaurus africanus Haughton, 1924

Megalosaurus africanus Huene, 1956

Pegomastax africanus Sereno, 2012 [Pegomastax africana Sereno, 2012]

===

5 canadensis

Monoclonius canadensis Lambe, 1902 [Chasmosaurus canadensis (Lambe, 1902)]

Eoceratops canadensis Lambe, 1915

Macrophalangia canadensis Sternberg, 1932

Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis Sternberg, 1950

Brachylophosaurus canadensis Sternberg, 1953

==========

NAMES FOR PERSONS

8 youngi + 2 yangi [for Yang Zhongjian (C.C. (Chung Chien) Young)]

Psittacosaurus youngi Chao, 1962

Yimenosaurus youngi Zhang, 1993

Sinornithoides youngi Russell & Dong, 1994

Fulengia youngi Carroll & Galton, 1977

Tianzhenosaurus youngi Pang & Cheng, 1998

Chaoyangsaurus youngi Zhao, Cheng & Xu, 1999

Mamenchisaurus youngi Pi, Ouyang & Ye, 1996

Yunnanosaurus youngi Lu, Li, Zhong, Azuma, Fujita, Dong & Ji, 2007

**

Neimongosaurus yangi Zhang, Xu, Zhao, Sereno, Kuang & Tan, 2001

Jinzhousaurus yangi Wang & Xu, 2001

==

6 dongi [for Dong Zhiming]

Sinraptor dongi Currie & Zhao, 1993

Caudipteryx dongi Zhou & Wang, 2000

Sinornithomimus dongi Kobayashi & Lu, 2003

Wulagasaurus dongi Godefroit, Hai, Yu & Lauters, 2008

Dashanpusaurus dongi Peng, Ye, Gao, Shu & Jiang, 2005

Dongbeititan dongi Wang, You, Meng, Gao, Cheng & Liu, 2007

==

6 Sternberg family

Hierosaurus sternbergi Wieland, 1909

Caenagnathus sternbergi Cracraft, 1971

Gorgosaurus sternbergi Matthew & Brown, 1923

Troodon sternbergi Brown & Schlaikjer, 1943

Pentaceratops sternbergii Osborn, 1923

Spinops sternbergorum Farke, Ryan, Barrett, Tanke, Braman, Loewen & Graham, 2011