Re: Blocked postings (Sichuan sauropod and theropod tracks)

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

This version of the email got through it appears. I'll see what
happens if in add the ref and abstract now:

Lida Xing, Guangzhao Peng, Yong Ye, Martin G. Lockley, Hendrik Klein,
W. Scott Persons IV, Jianping Zhang, Chunkang Shu & Baoqiao Hao (2014)
Sauropod and Small Theropod Tracks from the Lower Jurassic Ziliujing
Formation of Zigong City, Sichuan, China, with an Overview of
Triassic-Jurassic Dinosaur Fossils and Footprints of the Sichuan Basin
Ichnos 21 (2): 119-130
DOI: 10.1080/10420940.2014.909352
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/10420940.2014.909352#.U4to8vldXTo

A dinosaur footprint assemblage from the Lower Jurassic Ziliujing
Formation of Zigong City, Sichuan, China, comprises about 300 tracks
of small tridactyl theropods and large sauropods preserved as concave
epireliefs (natural molds). The theropod footprints show similarities
with both the ichnogenera Grallator and Jialingpus. Three different
morphotypes are present, probably related to different substrate
conditions and extramorphological variation. A peculiar preservational
feature in a morphotype that reflects a gracile trackmaker with
extremely slender digits, is the presence of a convex epirelief that
occurs at the bottom of the concave digit impressions. It is possibly
the result of sediment compaction underweight load when the pes
penetrated the substrate, being a resistant residue during exhumation
and weathering. The sauropod tracks belong to a trackway with eight
imprints consisting of poorly preserved pes and manus tracks and a
better preserved set, probably all undertracks. The narrow-gauge
trackway pattern resembles the ichnogenus Parabrontopodus well known
from the Jurassic but other features such as the minor heteropody are
different. The assemblage enriches the dinosaur record from the famous
Zigong locality and the evidence from the Lower Jurassic in this area
that was restricted to a few skeletal remains and footprints.
Furthermore it proves the presence of small theropods, whereas
skeletons of the group, well- known from the Middle-Upper Jurassic of
Zigong, are of medium to large size only. Remarkable is the dominance
of saurischians in these assemblages, which is characteristic of
Jurassic dinosaur communities whereas the Cretaceous record shows an
increase of ornithopod groups. An overview of the dinosaur trace and
body fossil record of the Sichuan Basin supports this view. The
paleoenvironment can be designated as a low-latitude tropical
freshwater lake as it is indicated by bivalve shells.