Re: Paul Sereno previews digging raptor and other news

The "digging raptor" was described at SVP a few years ago. It is the most
complete noasaurid found so far.

Sereno, P. C.  Noasaurid (Theropoda: Abelisauroidea) skeleton from Africa
shows derived skeletal proportions and function. Journal of Vertebrate
Paleontology, Supplement 30(2):37A.  (50)

On Sat, March 8, 2014 12:20 pm, Ben Creisler wrote:
> From: Ben Creisler
> bcreisler@gmail.com
>

> A number of recent news items:
>
> Last night (3-7-2014) Paul Sereno gave a talk in Seattle that included
> images of a reconstructed skeleton (along with animation) for a
> "digging raptor" from the Sahara that is yet to be officially named or
> described. He characterized the theropod as a cross between a rhea and
> a wolverine--with very long hind legs but short robust forelimbs,
> braced with a powerful sternum and shoulder area. The animation showed
> it digging into a small mammal burrow with its long back legs crouched
> flat. This combination looks similar to the one  found in
> alvarezsaurids--a lightly built running body with long legs, and very
> short forelimbs.  However, the digging raptor has three large flat
> digits on its hand rather than a single massive claw. Apparently this
> dinosaur had been briefly mentioned before as far back as 2012. He
> implied that it will be out soon. I'm not aware of any online material
> or links.
>
> Senero hinted that much new Spinosaurus material is about to be
> announced as well. It will change some details of how Spinosaurus has
> been reconstructed and will make it the biggest known theropod.
>
> https://www.burkemuseum.org/events/browse/unearthing_africa_talk

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216