Question: Why did birds lose their teeth?

Dear all,

I once learned that losing teeth was a weight-saving measure and thus
a flight adaptation. There is this reference stating this  as a possibility
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18248-early-birds-may-have-dropped-teeth-to-get-airborne.html#.Ux3HhdsjulM

However, I seem to remember that there was some study showing that
birds actually do not lose signifcant weight by replacing teeth with
beaks - if anybody has a reference on this, I'd be grateful.

Thanks a lot,

Martin.

                   Priv.-Doz. Dr. Martin Bäker
                   Institut für Werkstoffe
                   Technische Universität Braunschweig
                   Langer Kamp 8
                   38106 Braunschweig
                   Germany
                   Tel.: 00-49-531-391-3065   <===  NEW phone number!
                   Fax   00-49-531-391-3058
                   e-mail <martin.baeker@tu-bs.de>

http://www.tu-braunschweig.de/ifw/institut/mitarbeiter/roesler1
                   http://www.scienceblogs.de/hier-wohnen-drachen