?!? A New and Separate Palaeontological Community

It's baaaaaaaaaaaaccckkkk !!!

Hey DMLers .. [ long .. longer .. longest]

I did promise to return to this thread didn't I ..
Sorry for the imposition but .. it's necessary [I find ..]

I would like us to re-review the seed of an idea ..that I believe .. would take
us squarely into a new type of 21st C mode of operation here in palaeontology.

So I'm going to attempt to bury this seed a little deeper in the hopes that
something .. a little shoot .. will sprout this time around .. in our
subconscious. I could be wrong .. but bare with me .. this goes a little deeper
than the last couple of threads.I'm about to present a monologue on a topic
that has absolutely nothingwhatsoever to do with dinosaur palaeontology .. BUT
.. has the potential to turn this entire science completely on its head.

You might just consider this a head's up .. if nothing more.

Now .. I know .. that in past threads .. this has elicited quite an emotional
response.I am totally at fault with that. So .. at the extreme risk of
eliciting a no holds barred flame fest .. again .. I am going to re-open this
somewhat touchy subject.I need to nail this to the ground for
everybody.Probably not a good way to start the New Year off .. but start it I
will.

Once again .. this has to do with opening THE MOST important window we can open
in this science .. if we have the strength of courage to do so. I'm of course
.. talking about that bugaboo .. FUNDING !!!

I find it somewhat discouraging .. even disheartening .. at what we're NOT
doing with our science and it occurred to me that perhaps .. a better way of
launching this .. in the near future .. is to break away completely from gov't
palaeontology and commence designing and ultimately building a radical and
completely new and quite separate palaeontological community.This would not
just involve dinosaur palaeontology but all fields pertaining to the science
while .. simultaneously .. discarding a lot of our 160 years of accumulated
baggage.

But first .. it is more important at this juncture to FULLY UNDERSTAND why this
field is so impoverished. If we don't recognize this as a problem .. then we're
never going to find a solution to our financial woes.

So .. we 1st have to recognize .. we have a problem.

No one .. ever was so misquided .. as to enter this field for the $$$$. That's
a given. We're in this field because of our love of evolutionary history .. the
science .. the art.I say $$$$ is a bugaboo because we have an aversion to it.
We don't like to discuss it. We don'tfeel it has anything whatsoever to do with
palaeontology or our reasons for entering the science.It's almost as if we feel
that because some of us are not auto-mechanically inclined .. we shouldn't
discuss the need for field vehicles despite the fact that they've
revolutionized our ability to do field work.

So .. I need to make what may sound to most of you as treasonous [once again]
.. the acsertion that we need to design .. build .. and operate our future
institutions on a "FOR PROFIT" basis as our PRIME MOTIVE [if it does not
interfere with our projection of public science based education]. And it
shouldn't. Most will consider this contradictory. I will attempt to show that
there is absolutely no such contradiction .. that it is only percieved as a
contradiction .. that any contradiction is pure myth.

How do we do that ??

Because this is in plain text .. I will forego any pretty pictures/ graphs. I
implore you to use your imagination.I want you to imagine a multi-layered
pyramid with a very simplistic stratigraphic sequence.

Also .. imagine that there are only 2 types of individuals in this field [the
Diggers and the dental Pickers]. The Diggers are the one's in search of a CAUSE
but are still plowing through the SYMPTOMS to get to it. The Pickers have
already located their CAUSE and are now dissecting it in the field. You'll
understand once we get into this.

One other thing.

I want you to understand the difference between a SYMPTOM and a CAUSE ..
because when it comes to FUNDING .. I feel .. many really don't .. and this can
ultimately become very misleading.

Now .. I do take an enormous liberty here by asking a simple question of all of
you and provide my own answeras if speaking for everybody. We have to start
somewhere .. so .. bare with me ..

Q : What exactly is it that we are trying to achieve in this field ??
A : HD [Hi-Definition] = HR [Hi-Resolution] of the fossil record.

So lets place RESOLUTION at the top of the pyramid. That's our ultimate goal.
It's a little like asking why .. instead of 50-60 partial T.rex specimens .. we
don't have 5-600 partial specimens to play with. More to the point .. what
would it take to increase the world's fossil collections some 10-fold in as
little as 10 years ?? It's an oversimplification ..I know .. but .. it sets the
tone for the next question.

Q : Why don't we have this RESOLUTION ??

If we want to find any answer .. we have to "dig" for it and hope there's
another layer under and supporting that question. We're still "Diggers" here.
So lets dig down to that next layer for that answer.

A : We don't possess the RESOURCES to achieve this level of RESOLUTION ..

So lets place RESOURCES as the 2nd layer of that pyramid .. under the term
RESOLUTION. And further .. what do we mean by RESOURCES ?? In order to attain
this magnitude of RESOURCES .. we would need to construct
institutions at the rate of one per week over the next 10 years .. minimum. We
would also have to fully equip them. We would also have to set aside some 40
years worth of budgets to run them. Sound easy so far ?? Now comes the tough
part. We would also have to fully staff them with trained personel. There are
none .. at least not that many. So pocket-universities/ colleges would have to
be constructed as teaching fascilities  devoted to multi-palaeontological
fields within each array of institutes.

Now .. before anybody believes I've gone off the deep end with this .. I'll
fully admit that we are looking at well in excess of$ billions .. easily. This
does not even remotely bother me .. as I will explain later. It does however ..
indicate why no one ever thinks about this .. not even for 5 minutes. I do. I
think about this 24/7 .. probably because I recognize its feasibility.

I am not frightened by large numbers.

Now this begs the question.

Q : Why don't we have those RESOURCES ??

Well .. we're still "Diggers". Lets see if there's another layer to this
pyramid. So dig for that answer. It won't come any other way.

A : We lack $$$$ [MONEY] to purchase those RESOURCES.

So what have we learned that we didn't already know ?? What we actually learned
is really quite subtle. We've learned that the lack of RESOLUTION in the fossil
record is a SYMPTOM of a lack of RESOURCES which in itself is SYMPTOMATIC of a
lack of $$$$. The trick here is to NOT concentrate efforts on SYMPTOMS. That is
a waste of time. SYMPTOMS almost always disappear when the root CAUSE of a
problem is located and understood. It is at this juncture that I hear the
clatter of so many shovels being thrown to the ground. It's back to our
existing programs. When opening a new vista [window] on palaeontology .. most
workers find themselves somewhat stranded and usually alone. Its quite natural.
If it does hold promise .. great .. everyone will be part of it. If it doesn't
.. then only one of us has blown a career.

It is what it is.

So now .. we cross a great threshold.

For palaeontologists .. the $$$$ layer is the "ironstone" layer. Shovels bend.
Picks bounce off.Chisels break. Field workers break down and cry in frustration
sending them back to their former institutions. It has always been for all of
us .. an intense headache. We need to think through this .. explosives .. brute
force ..

Now supposing .. just supposing .. that this layer was never really a CAUSE for
concern .. but a SYMPTOM instead. That would be crossing quite a threshold ..
wouldn't it ?? Imagine never having to worry unjustly about it .. ever!! We
need to find that next layer. Our Diggers are back. Is there really anything
more crucial than $$$$ ??

Did we leave something out of the equation more valuable than MONEY ?? I think
we did.

And this is our problem.

Q : Why don't we possess a $ multi-billion Fund ??
A : As incredible as this sounds .. our field has existed for over 150 years
without an .. INFRASTRUCTURE !!!

This is the 4th layer to our pyramid.

Definition of an INFRASTRUCTURE :

A financial INFRASTRUCTURE is a mechanism tuned to an industry [or science]
that is designed for the sole purpose of creating internal revenue for that
industry. Each INFRASTRUCTURE is totally unique to each industry and allows
that industry a fair leeway of independant operation from gov't. Few $
multi-billion industries can operate without one. It is at the very core of
their structure which allows them to make prodigious amounts of $$$$. It's the
core difference between $ multi-million businesses and those who achieve in the
$ billions.

So .. for the 1st time in our history .. we now realise that the lack of
MONETARY Funding in our field turns out to be a SYMPTOM of a far more serious
.. deeper rooted problem.

We have never possessed and continue to this day to operate without an
INFRASTRUCTURE.

O.K. So what are the examples ?? How does the lack of an INFRASTRUCTURE
possibly affect us ??

Lets take for example 3 completely non-related leading industries.

1. Automobile Industry
2. Motion Picture Industry
3. Food Industry

I will now attempt to convince you of the need to design and construct
palaeontological institutes based exclusively or near exclusively on the "FOR
PROFIT" and "PROFIT" alone motive. NOT research .. NOT field collections .. NOT
labs .. NOT anything that would be construed as very basic to our science.
You'll see how this not only does NOT INTERFERE with research programs but ..
on the contrary .. actually ENHANCES research programs.

For this .. we're going to require real world examples.

You'll discover .. as I have .. that we are all on the wrong side of the fence.
It's about time we crossed over.

1. The Automotive Industry

Before Henry Ford walked into the industry .. it was sailing along nicely for
.. I believe .. some 17 years. Auto industries in those heady times were being
assembled at the rate of 50 per year. Over 500 auto industries once existed in
America. At the time .. no one thought anything of it. It was pure capitalism.
Some actually made a living from it. Most required part-time jobs to see them
through. Not unlike todays museum programs .. these autmotive programs were
2-man .. 3-man programs existing out of their respective garages [auto
institutes] built as extensions to their homes. These programs all possessed
their very own and separate if meagre budgets. The more massive programs were
probably on ranches/ farms where entire barns may have been set aside for 5-10
man programs consisting of farmers and ranchers.

The people in these particular programs saw the automotive industry as an
artistic/ mechanized science research concept .. not unlike present day
palaeontology. The very idea of being involved in this endeavour strictly for
profit .. was probably quite laughable.

It was the science. It was the art that absobed them. They also had a tendency
to build one of a kind [not unlike travelling museum exhibits today]. Again ..
no one thought anything of it. They were certainly not going to have anything
but a minimal impact on the world around them.

And herein lay the problem.

As the industry matured .. automobiles became complicated and more expensive to
build. The customer base was shrinking precipitously to those wealthier
individuals who could afford to pay more. Gov't subsidies and takeover wasn't
very far off. From our perspective today .. we would conclude that the 1st
experimental 17 years of the auto industry .. were impoverished years.

Enter Henry Ford.

With the backing of wealthy business people .. the Ford Motor Co. became a
reality. It would continue to produce 1-of-a-kind automobiles.

The brilliance of Henry Ford was that he recognised that the automotive
industry was still without an INFRASTRUCTURE .. including his own company. Now
.. he did introduce "mass production".. yes .. but it wouldn't have worked
however .. without an INFRASTRUCTURE.

There is nothing really "new" under the sun. What Ford did was implement the
tools like [mass production/ mass distribution/ mass differentiation (not so
much) / mass diversification] and merely introduce them to the auto industry.

These tools had already been applied to many industries over millenia. It's
just that nobody ever thought that they could be successfully applied to this
type of industry. If it could be applied to this type of industry .. then it
could probably be applied to any industry [or science].

In the auto industry .. the introduction of an INFRASTRUCTURE .. was through
"mass distribution". What I mean by this .. is that Ford "split" the concept of
car manufacturing. He began assembling "dealerships". The dealerships served as
the financial workhorse for his fledgling company. They represented the
showrooms. They showcased the end result of all the research and manufacturing.

This is what brought in the $$$$.
This is what defined the INFRASTRUCTURE for the auto industry.

IT IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL TO UNDERSTAND THIS !!!

All research and manufacturing was designed for efficiency .. not profit.

The dealerships on the other hand .. were. They were all show .. all glamour ..
all sales and marketing. The dealerships became the INFRASTRUCTURE completely
separated from the actual ongoing research. Ford started off with a few $
million. Within 5 years .. the company had accumulated 7,000 dealerships and
pulled .. very quickly .. into the fledgling industry .. todays' equivalent of
$ 100 billion.

THIS IS THE KEY !!!

Two separate entities under control of a single concept with little overlap
between them.
If a dealership goes under .. it doesn't affect the industry as a whole.
Nobody cares.

2. Motion Picture Industry

Here again .. same concept .. different venue. The INFRASTRUCTURE is part of a
split concept. The studios .. making of a film .. research carried out ..
professional field staffT for on location shooting .. computer buffs .. this is
the Art and Science of the industry.

The 1,000s of theatres form the distribution centres [dealerships or showrooms]
of the film industry. It is these centres that actually bring in the $$$$. They
are separate from the rest. If a theatre goes "belly-up" .. it doesn't affect
the industry because a theatre belongs to the marketing and sales outlet.
Nobody cares.

3. Food Industry

Here again .. the differences are only to be found in the types of venue.
Burger King has 1,000s of outlets. These outlets serve as their INFRASTRUCTURE.
The slaughtering plants .. packaging .. raising of animal products .. all this
.. is never displayed to the public. Only the final product which is bought at
the outlet is where the real $$$$ is exchanged.

If an "independent" outlet goes under .. there is always another to take its
place.
Nobody cares.

So .. how do we create an INFRASTRUCTURE for palaeontology ?? For that matter
.. what exactly would suffice for an INFRASTRUCTURE in our science in the 1st
place ?? In our field .. an INFRASTRUCTURE is what pulls in the customers ..
the exhibits !! Because we can already recognise precisely what our
infrastructure is composed of .. we now have the insight needed to "split" the
field into 2 separate entities. We need to concentrate on developing exhibit
institutes whose only purpose is to [highlight/ showroom] the research findings
of our field. This in turn provides the $$$$ for the true research institutes
that are designed NOT for profit but .. for scientific efficiency in the areas
of [specimen storage/ prep labs/ collections/ research] .. just never for sales
.. marketing .. $$$$.

The research institutes have absolutely nothing to do with business.The
[P.R.I.s] Palaeontological Research Institutes themselves would require a
radical new re-design. It's already worked out. That will be for a future
thread entirely.

So .. each exhibit institute would act like a (P.R.F.S.) .. Palaeontologibal
Research Funding Site.

AND THIS IS IMPORTANT !!!

It is the "SITE" that brings in the revenue .. not simply what's standing on
it. It doesn't matter what's actually standing on each site .. only that it
brings revenue into the science. I say "exhibit institutes" because it is what
we are more familiar with and is directly related to our science.

The 2nd reason is that we should be wide open to any and all possible ways to
milk as much funding from these sites as we can possibly imagine. These are NOT
RESEARCH SITES but FUNDING SITES for the science.

I CANNOT OVEREMPHASIZE THIS !!!

Once our 1st exhibit institute is constructed .. we are away. The goal here ..
then .. would be to enhance the "funding rate of each site" by introduction of
"mass differentiation" (to triple the funding rate) while at the same time
honing the tool of mass distribution with extreme predjudice for these
institutes.

"Mass Diversification" is a different matter which would seek to increase the
"funding rate" another 10-fold on each established funding site. This is a
whole different kettle-of-fish and would require the operation of a
"Superstructure" with the underpinnings of a successful "Infrastructure" to
launch it. Not for this thread. So don't even ask. Just ignore it for now.

So .. to continue with the original thread ..If some 200 exhibit institutes
were constructed throughout North America and 13 went "Chapter 11" .. would we
care ?? That is the concern of the business end only. Exhibit institutes go up
.. exhibit institutes come down. Nature of the beast. No gov't net under us ..
just our neural net. It would be work and a lot of panic .. but .. would gather
us a large factor of independence.

I say no more.

AAAAAAHH .. but all this begs a bigger question .. doesn't it ??

What good is an INFRASTRUCTURE .. if we don't actually control it completely ??

Q : Why don't we have an INFRASTRUCTURE in place ??
A : Lack of OWNERSHIP

OWNERSHIP serves as the 5th layer of our pyramid. In order to accomplish this
.. we would have to break some rather strong taboos .. and this won't be easy.
Public ownership is one thing. Private .. quite another matter. Even in private
hands .. we would seek laws and controls to safeguard all research institutes
and their collections. The exhibit institutes .. another matter completely.
While scientific integrity is still extremely important within the confines of
an exhibit institute .. the marketing and sales is a looser end.

It may well be the nature of the beast .. but ..

AND THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT ..

it would be OUR BEAST !!!

If the lack of an INFRASTRUCTURE is symptomatic of a lack of OWNERSHIP .. then
how exactly do we get around to owning 1 or more institutes ?? For that matter
.. what does it mean to .. OWN an institute ??

BRACE FOR IMPACT !!!

The answer is to ** FRANCHISE THE SCIENCE **.

Sentimental fluff aside .. it's the ONLY WAY to go BIG !!! Take FULL advantage
and ADAPT to these new concepts. Why not be the 1st out of the gate .. for once
.. rather than constantly bringing up the rear ?? Those in the rear almost
always have to split $$$$ crumbs and we've been in the rear now .. for nearly 2
centuries. A franchise isn't just building one institute after another. It is
NOT that simplified. It requires breaking long established taboos. For instance
[this is a real oversimplification of the process but .. it'll serve the
purpose that I'm about to expound upon].

We'll take an imaginary exhibit-institute that will cost .. say .. $ 10 million
to build.

Using simple math .. how much $$$$ would the gov't have to raise .. if the
taxpayer wanted to have 10 more built in a particular Eastern State ?? This
will seem redundant but .. nevertheless .. just follow me on this one.