Re: Proceedings of the "Quatrième sympos

Mickey Mortimer writes:

<<Fair enough, but in what sense is a junior synonym unknown or
doubtful if it's a junior synonym?  Norman's Table 1 really
illustrates the problems.  On the left it's supposed to show the low
number of names he and McDonald us while on the right are the large
number of names used by Paul and Carpenter and Ishida.  But really
it's just on the left the names he wants to keep, and on the right the
names he wants to sink.  E.g. Vectisaurus is a nomen dubium impossibly
also a synonym of Mantellisaurus, but there was never an ICZN opinion
saying Mantellisaurus is valid.>>

Yes. Norman's taxonomy is incredibly subjective and only serves to
further debate and confusion without providing clarity. He even admits
to the presence of autapomorphies in some taxa (e.g., *Kukufeldia
tilgatensis*) but nonetheless decrees them insufficient. Which is to
say, to his tastes. He's not validated his argument, but will run with
it. And this, sadly, is why we need to do more explicit analysis
rather than "classic" taxonomy, which is just playing with lists and
drawers.

--
Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff: http://qilong.wordpress.com/

"Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth" - P. B. Medawar (1969)