Tyrannosaurus rex growth and locomotion study correction

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A correction published in PLoS ONE to a study from 2011 of growth and
locomotion for Tyrannosaurus rex:

John R. Hutchinson,  Karl T. Bates,  Julia Molnar,  Vivian Allen,
Peter J. Makovicky (2014)
Correction: A Computational Analysis of Limb and Body Dimensions in
Tyrannosaurus rex with Implications for Locomotion, Ontogeny, and
Growth.
PLoS ONE 9(5): e97055.
doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0097055
http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0097055

Based on our plot in Figure 6, we stated that the data in our paper
support the view that DME was a reasonable first approximation for
modeling growth in non-avian dinosaurs. However, several
inconsistencies were introduced in this plot, a fact brought to our
attention by Myhrvold (2013).

Errors include using a minimum mass of 9693 kg for “Sue” instead of
the published 9501 kg, and using femoral lengths published in
Kilbourne and Makovicky (2010) instead of the ones in Table 3 of our
paper. An important source of ambiguity came to light as we reviewed
our data: the “Jane” specimen’s femur, which is broken and incomplete,
was reconstructed on the cast as being 788 mm in length, whereas other
studies estimate the length at 720mm (the value used in our Fig. 6).

After reviewing these mistakes and sources of uncertainty, we now
judge that the data in our paper do not support our published
conclusions regarding the accuracy of DME models. We no longer
consider our data sufficient to permit an evaluation of how accurate
this method may be, and we wish to withdraw our earlier statements on
this issue (p9: the last paragraph of the results section headed
'Growth', p13: the three paragraphs in the discussion headed
‘Implications for growth rates?'; and Figure 6).