Re: Qianzhousaurus - new long-snouted tyrannosaur

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Here's the ref. The supplementary material is free but the article is
behind a paywall:

Junchang Lü, Laiping Yi, Stephen L. Brusatte, Ling Yang, Hua Li & Liu
Chen (2014)
A new clade of Asian Late Cretaceous long-snouted tyrannosaurids.
Nature Communications 5, Article number: 3788
doi:10.1038/ncomms4788
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/140507/ncomms4788/full/ncomms4788.html

The iconic tyrannosaurids were top predators in Asia and North America
during the latest Cretaceous, and most species had deep skulls that
allowed them to generate extreme bite forces. Two unusual specimens of
Alioramus from Mongolia seem to indicate a divergent long-snouted body
plan among some derived tyrannosaurids, but the rarity and juvenile
nature of these fossils leaves many questions unanswered. Here, we
describe a remarkable new species of long-snouted tyrannosaurid from
the Maastrichtian of southeastern China, Qianzhousaurus sinensis.
Phylogenetic analysis places Qianzhousaurus with both species of
Alioramus in a novel longirostrine clade, which was geographically
widespread across latest Cretaceous Asia and formed an important
component of terrestrial ecosystems during this time. The new specimen
is approximately twice the size as both Alioramus individuals, showing
that the long-snouted morphology was not a transient juvenile
condition of deep-snouted species, but a characteristic of a major
tyrannosaurid subgroup.