Re: Therizinosaur claw functions and Allosaurus injury heaing (resend)

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Here's the full ref and link for the therizinosaur claw paper:

Stephan Lautenschlager (2014)
Morphological and functional diversity in therizinosaur claws and the
implications for theropod claw evolution.
Proceedings of the Royal Society B 22  281 no. 1785: 20140497
doi: 10.1098/rspb.2014.0497
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/281/1785/20140497.abstract

Therizinosaurs are a group of herbivorous theropod dinosaurs from the
Cretaceous of North America and Asia, best known for their iconically
large and elongate manual claws. However, among Therizinosauria,
ungual morphology is highly variable, reflecting a general trend found
in derived theropod dinosaurs (Maniraptoriformes). A combined approach
of shape analysis to characterize changes in manual ungual morphology
across theropods and finite-element analysis to assess the
biomechanical properties of different ungual shapes in therizinosaurs
reveals a functional diversity related to ungual morphology. While
some therizinosaur taxa used their claws in a generalist fashion,
other taxa were functionally adapted to use the claws as grasping
hooks during foraging. Results further indicate that maniraptoriform
dinosaurs deviated from the plesiomorphic theropod ungual morphology
resulting in increased functional diversity. This trend parallels
modifications of the cranial skeleton in derived theropods in response
to dietary adaptation, suggesting that dietary diversification was a
major driver for morphological and functional disparity in theropod
evolution.