Re: New fossil site in Australia may fill in early Cenozoic mammal evolution (news story)

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Mike Archer's much appreciated reply did not show up on the Dinosaur
Mailing List so I will repost it to the DML.

Many thanks as well to Piotr Gasiorowski for additional info.

Here are some links to news stories from last August (2013) about the
discovery of the so-called "New Riversleigh" -- however, these stories
do not make claims about filling in mammal evolution in Australia
following the K-Pg extinction, which made the headline in the story I
posted.

http://newsroom.unsw.edu.au/news/science/new-riversleigh-fossil-site-discovery

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/fossil-hunters-uncover-a-vast-treasure-trove-at-isolated-site-20130803-2r4w5.html

with video

http://www.smh.com.au/data-point/bone-city-unmasked-20130802-2r4ip.html

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 5:19 PM, Michael Archer <m.archer@unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> This was the result of an excitable reporter just catching up on the
> discoveries in a remote part of Queensland made last year west of the World
> Heritage area. It is in fact a vastly larger area than the World Heritage
> fossil deposits that was detected, as the article rightly says, by a PhD
> student using satellite data. We've only just begun to explore this area,
> dubbed 'New Riversleigh', with the help last year of National Geographic--but
> that support lasted one year and while wonderfully appreciated this support
> has only enabled us to reach about 1/5th of the area. New richly
> fossiliferous sites found in the small area explored have produced new
> species and clearly different palaeoecosystems so we're keen to keep this
> exploration going. The comment about Cambrian rocks is indeed a puzzle. Over
> a vast region of NW Queensland, there is a cover of flat-lying Cambrian
> marine limestones (Thorntonia Lms) with no other Paleozoic or Mesozoic
> sediments on top of these. The Riversleigh Cen
 oz