Mussaurus (basal sauropodomorph) unusual bone tissue

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new online paper:

Ignacio A. Cerda, Anusuya Chinsamy and Diego Pol (2014)
Unusual Endosteally Formed Bone Tissue in a Patagonian Basal
Sauropodomorph Dinosaur.
The Anatomical Record (advance online publication)
DOI: 10.1002/ar.22954
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ar.22954/abstract

Mussaurus patagonicus (Dinosauria: Sauropodomorpha) is a basal
sauropodomorph from the Late Triassic of southern Argentina that is
known from a large number of individuals, including juveniles,
subadults, and adults. Here, we report on the occurrence of an unusual
bone tissue in an individual of M. patagonicus. The rather atypical
bone tissue is located within the femoral medullary cavity and also
occurs within several erosion cavities of the midinner part of the
cortex. This tissue is well vascularized and is composed of a matrix
that consists of abundant and densely packed osteocyte lacunae.
Although some features of this tissue resembles avian medullary bone,
the histological features are distinctive and share more features with
the pathological, reactive bone produced in extant birds in response
to a retrovirus-induced disease (avian osteopetrosis). Here, we also
discuss and provide histological features to effectively differentiate
endosteally formed medullary bone from pathological avian
osteopetrosis.