RE: A trivial question

How about the trivial epithet ... "sp." ?  This has been used , and I can't
even begin to count them up, in place of a true species name especially when a
critter is discovered and its precise position within the genera has not yet
been determined.  Yes, I know that "sp.." isn't a true species name, but it
shows up in the literature an awful lot.

Quick and dirty count for the epithet "sp." repeats count 1 and not counted if
later given a proper epithet
 [86 for dinosauromorphs and theropoda,  21 more if you include the Mesozoic
avians, 55 for sauropoda, ornithischia = 97] total = 259 !!!