Re: A trivial question

From: Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

Thanks to Mickey for adding Gobivenator mongoliensis--should have
caught that one.

**
Note that *ajax* was also used for Pachysauriscus ajax (Kuhn, 1959)
[originally Pachysaurus ajax von Huene, 1907], now generally as
Plateosaurus (with type species name to be changed).

Also, for *rex*:

Aliwalia rex Galton, 1985  [Eucnemesaurus]

Edmarka rex Bakker et al., 1992 [Torvosaurus]

Othnielia rex (Galton,1977) [from Nanosaurus rex Marsh ]

Tyrannosaurus rex Osborn, 1905

**
Responding to the mongoliense issue:

Protiguanodon mongoliense was a grammatical error (names in Greek
-odon "tooth" are masculine, not neuter) so Protiguanodon mongoliensis
was the correct form that should have been used.

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/12344149#page/178/mode/1up

In Latin the masculine and feminine adjectival forms in this case are
-ensis, and the neuter form is -ense.  See:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-ensis

Changing grammatical endings on adjectives is required to make a
species match the Latin gender of the genus it is assigned to. I think
"mongoliensis" and "mongoliense" should count as the same name in a
tally of dinosaur species in this case.

**

Osborn (or the editor) made the same mistake with Prodeinodon
mongoliense instead of mongoliensis-- although the correct masculine
spelling is used in the illustration caption!

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/12344311#page/340/mode/1up

**
What is really confusing here is that Osborn is proposing a new
genus/species "Protiguanodon mongoliense" but concedes that, after
more preparation of the specimens, Protiguanodon may turn out to be
the same as Psittacosaurus--and presumably belong to the species
Psittacosaurus mongoliensis.  If Protiguanodon was the same as the
genus Psittacosaurus (as it turned out to be) but a new species, it
would need a new species name because of identical spellings.

**

I'm wondering if it was some editor for the American Museum of Natural
History who got the Latin grammar mixed up. In the article by Mook
about Alligator sinensis (masculine gender) in the same volume, the
species is spelled "sinense" (neuter) throughout even though Alligator
mississippiensis is spelled correctly!

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/page/12344145#page/185/mode/1up

**

R.C. Andrews et al. 1926-1930. Central Asiatic Expeditions of the
American Museum of Natural History, under the leadership of Roy
Chapman Andrews : preliminary contributions in geology, palaeontology,
and zoology.
New York : American Museum of Natural History

http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/12034#/details