From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu] on behalf of Ralph
Chapman [ralphchapman@earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2014 10:26 PM
To: bcreisler@gmail.com; dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Stegosaurus fossil mounted for display at Natural History Museum
in London

We sure seem to have come a long way in our reconstruction of stegosaurs. I
grew up going to the Peabody Museum about 15 miles from my house and the stego
mount there suffered from  overly-long-femur "disease" and looked like it was
about to start a 100 m. dash. They mounted it with what they had, much as the
Triceratops at the NMNH had duckbill feet and mis-matched-humerus "disease".

As a result, as a youngster, the stego never seemed to be as much a real animal
as many of the other dinos in that same hall, or the great mounts at the AMNH
where I had less of a reaction, but still was unhappy with the classic mount.
The NMNH stego mount was also better in some ways, but still never really
seemed as much a real animal to me compared with the allosaur, ceratopsians,
and sauropods there.

I have always thought the first stegosaur mount that looked like a real animal
to my eyes was Ken's (Carpenter) elegant reconstruction in Denver - and it is
still my favorite stego mount. I would be interested to know what other great
and realistic stego mounts are out there and when they went up relative to
Ken's mo
would think it would be great to see a study just on the evolution of the
stegosaur mount (probably exists now that I think about it, so a pointer to it
would be appreciated).

I did a lot of looking at mounts when we worked on the new Triceratops mount at
NMNH in the late 1990's. It was interesting to see the first mount - at NMNH -
was far superior to most anything that followed for a long time.

Anyway, would appreciate hearing thoughts on this from the esteemed group.

Ralph E. Chapman
Paleontologist & Technologist
New Mexico Virtualization LLC and Los Alamos Business Incubation LLC
102 El Morro St.
Los Alamos, NM 87544
USA
(505) 672-2240 [Home]