[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]

Re: Panguraptor, new coelophysoid theropod from Early Jurassic of China



Sorry. Another copy and paste problem...should have a (2014) to be accurate.


Hai-Lu You, Yoichi Azuma, Tao Wang, Ya-Ming Wang & Zhi-Ming Dong (2014)
The first well-preserved coelophysoid theropod dinosaur from Asia.
Zootaxa 3873 (3): 233–249
http://dx.doi.org/10.11646/zootaxa.3873.3.3
preview:
http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2014/f/z03873p249f.pdf
http://zoobank.org/urn:lsid:zoobank.org:pub:4441BCDF-E4A9-4C67-AE08-5D6D418706CC

Coelophysoid dinosaurs represent the earliest major radiation of
neotheropods. These small-to-medium-sized agile bipeds lived
throughout much of Pangaea during the Late Triassic–arly Jurassic.
Previously reported coelophysoid material from Asia (excluding the
Gondwanan territory of India) is limited to two specimens that
comprise only limb fragments. This paper describes a new genus and
species of coelophysoid, Panguraptor lufengensis, from the Lower
Jurassic Lufeng Formation of Yunnan Province, China. The new taxon is
represented by a well-preserved skeleton, including the skull and
lower jaw, the presacral vertebral column and partial ribs, the right
scapula, a partial forelimb, part of the pelvic girdle, and an almost
complete hind limb. It is distinguished from other coelophysoid
theropods by the unique combination of the following three character
states: 1) diagonal (rostrodorsal-caudoventral) ridge on lateral
surface of maxilla, within antorbital fossa, 2) elliptical, laterally
facing fenestra caudodorsal to aforementioned diagonal ridge, and 3)
hooked craniomedial corner of distal tarsal IV. Cladistic analysis
recovers Panguraptor lufengensis deeply nested within Coelophysoidea
as a member of Coelophysidae, and it is more closely related to
Coelophysis than to “Syntarsus”. Panguraptor represents the first
well-preserved coelophysoid theropod dinosaur from Asia, and provides
fresh evidence supporting the hypothesis that terrestrial tetrapods
tended to be distributed pan-continentally during the Early Jurassic.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM, Ben Creisler <bcreisler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ben Creisler
> bcreisler@gmail.com
>
> A new paper:
>
> Hai-Lu You, Yoichi Azuma, Tao Wang, Ya-Ming Wang & Zhi-Ming Dong
> The first well-preserved coelophysoid theropod dinosaur from Asia.
> Zootaxa 3873 (3): 233–249
> http://dx.doi.org/10.11646/zootaxa.3873.3.3
> preview:
> http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2014/f/z03873p249f.pdf
>
> http://zoobank.org/urn:lsid:zoobank.org:pub:4441BCDF-E4A9-4C67-AE08-5D6D418706CC
>
> Coelophysoid dinosaurs represent the earliest major radiation of
> neotheropods. These small-to-medium-sized agile bipeds lived
> throughout much of Pangaea during the Late Triassic–Early Jurassic.
> Previously reported coelophysoid material from Asia (excluding the
> Gondwanan territory of India) is limited to two specimens that
> comprise only limb fragments. This paper describes a new genus and
> species of coelophysoid, Panguraptor lufengensis, from the Lower
> Jurassic Lufeng Formation of Yunnan Province, China. The new taxon is
> represented by a well-preserved skeleton, including the skull and
> lower jaw, the presacral vertebral column and partial ribs, the right
> scapula, a partial forelimb, part of the pelvic girdle, and an almost
> complete hind limb. It is distinguished from other coelophysoid
> theropods by the unique combination of the following three character
> states: 1) diagonal (rostrodorsal-caudoventral) ridge on lateral
> surface of maxilla, within antorbital fossa, 2) elliptical, laterally
> facing fenestra caudodorsal to aforementioned diagonal ridge, and 3)
> hooked craniomedial corner of distal tarsal IV. Cladistic analysis
> recovers Panguraptor lufengensis deeply nested within Coelophysoidea
> as a member of Coelophysidae, and it is more closely related to
> Coelophysis than to “Syntarsus”. Panguraptor represents the first
> well-preserved coelophysoid theropod dinosaur from Asia, and provides
> fresh evidence supporting the hypothesis that terrestrial tetrapods
> tended to be distributed pan-continentally during the Early Jurassic.