RE: Jehol Biota food-web models + Middle Jurassic Daohugou plants + more papers

AND.... because apparently I'm not done complaining yet....

The abstract states "The model also indicates a temporal transition in the
dinosaur fauna from the Yixian fauna to the Jiufotang fauna in which theropods
decreased ...", but what about Sinotyrannus?  It wasn't included, but being a
9-10 meter long tyrannosauroid, it was probably over 3000 kg.  That probably
outmasses every other Jiufotang specimen they use, so would surely have a huge
effect on the model.  Or the 3 specimens of Yutyrannus, also not included.
That's 1400 kg each of Yixian carnivore.  Perhaps worse, there are no sauropods
listed.  But Dongbeititan is from the Yixian Formation, and no doubt outmassed
every other Yixian specimen Matsukawa used combined.  There are also
Euhelopus-like teeth from the Lujiatun beds of the Yixian Formation (Barrett
and Wang, 2007).  Sauropods are also known from the Jiufotang, though
undescribed (Benton et al., 2008).  These huge animals would have a huge effect
in any model, which again emphasizes the preservational bias in the Je
 hol group so that it doesn't represent the whole ecosystem.  And only two(!)
pterosaurs are listed from the entire Jehol- Jeholopterus and Sinopterus.  This
is supposedly because these were insectivorous and frugivorous while the others
were piscivorous, but why isn't the listed Dendrorhynchoides also not
insectivorous if Jeholopterus is?  If the Witton/Naish azhdarchid feeding model
is right, then the Jehol, chaoyangopterids should be counted as carnivores.
And if piscivory doesn't count as carnivory (as this is a terrestrial model),
then why are any of the birds omnivorous instead of herbivorous or
insectivorous?  Sure Confuciusornis and Yanornis ate fish sometimes, but
where's the evidence they ate tetrapods?  But the choristoderes are omnivores
in their model too, so anything's possible... :|

Mickey Mortimer

> From: mickey_mortimer111@msn.com
> To: dinosaur@usc.edu
> Subject: RE: Jehol Biota food-web models + Middle Jurassic Daohugou plants +
> more papers
> Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 20:31:26 -0700
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but the number of specimens listed for each
> taxon is WAY off, as listed in their Table 5.  For example, the specimen
> count for Caudipteryx sp. is listed as 2, but 6 have been published.
> Ironically, they would have to know of at least 3 specimens, since the use of
> 'sp.' instead of zoui in their table indicates multiple species were being
> counted, and there were 2 C. zoui specimens published in the original
> description before C. dongi's specimen was published.  Similarly, Dilong's
> specimen count is listed as 1, even though four specimens were described in
> the original paper.  Beipiaosaurus- 1 listed instead of 2, Huaxiagnathus 1
> instead of 2, Mei 1 instead of 2, Sinornithosaurus 2 instead of more than 5
> at least, Sinosauropteryx 2 instead of 4, Sinovenator 1 instead of 4,
> Microraptor 2 instead of 25, 'Epidendorosaurus' is probably not even from the
> Yixian Formation...  The birds are even worse.  Only 8 Confuciusornis?!  Over
> 140 specimens have been separ
 ately listed in the literature and several hundred were reported to exist even
as early as 1998.  So that biomass would go from 34.4 kg per square km to 602
kg at bare minimum.  Surely that would have some effect on the calculations?
Zheng et al. (2011) reported over 100 Jeholornis, nearly 100 Sapeornis and over
two dozen Hongshanornis, but Matsukawa et al. only list 3, 3, and er... none
respectively.  Who knows why Hongshanornis is missing, but they have one Gansus
specimen listed despite it being from a completely different formation.  And
being known from at least 70 specimens, not one.  Otogornis is also listed as
Jiufotang, but is also from a different locality.  The masses are also way off,
at least in comparison to each other.  For example, Yixianosaurus has a humerus
89 mm long, while Sinovenator's is 71 mm, so cubing the ratio would make
Yixianosaurus about twice the weight of Sinovenator.  But it's listed as five
times heavier in the table.  Finally, the 'feeding modes' l
 isted are often problematic.  Every Jehol bi!
rd was a
omnivore, eh?  Despite the wildly varying dentition and beak shapes.  Even more
ridiculously, all of the Jehol amphibians were omnivores?!  I'm no amphibian
expert, but I was under the impression almost all amphibians are basically
carnivores or insectivores, with the exception of algae-scraping tadpoles.