Post-natal parental care in Cretaceous choristodere Philydrosaurus from China

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new online paper:

Junchang Lü, Yoshitsugu Kobayashi, D. Charles Deeming & Yongqing Liu (2014)
Post-natal parental care in a Cretaceous diapsid from northeastern China.
Geosciences Journal (advance online publication)
DOI: 10.1007/s12303-014-0047-1
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12303-014-0047-1

Post-natal parental care seems to have evolved numerous times in
vertebrates. Among extant amniotes, it is present in crocodilians,
birds, and mammals. However, evidence of this behavior is extremely
rare in the fossil record and is only reported for two types of
dinosaurs, and a varanopid 'pelycosaur'. Here we report new evidence
for post-natal parental care in Philydrosaurus, a choristodere, from
the Yixian Formation of western Liaoning Province, China. We review
the fossil record of reproduction in choristoderes, and this
represents the oldest record of post-natal parental care in diapsids
to our knowledge.