Re: Kulindadromeus "feathers" questioned by Theagarten Lingham-Soliar

In a way, it's good that there are people out there playing Devil's Advocate*.
Detailed responses to such
counterclaims can serve to strengthen the original position, and will often
bring to light information that
couldn't be included in the original paper for whatever reason (time
constraints, word limits, etc).

(* even if that's not their intention)

On Fri, Oct 24th, 2014 at 9:07 AM, Jaime Headden <jaimeheadden@gmail.com> wrote:

> *sigh*

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Ben Creisler <bcreisler@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ben Creisler

> > bcreisler@gmail.com

> > In the new issue of Science:

> > Theagarten Lingham-Soliar (2014)

> > Comment on â??A Jurassic ornithischian dinosaur from Siberia with both

> > feathers and scalesâ??

> > Science  346 (6208): 434

> > DOI: 10.1126/science.1259983

> > http://www.sciencemag.org/content/346/6208/434.2.abstract

> > Godefroit et al. (Reports, 25 July 2014, p. 451) reported scales and

> > feathers, including â??basal plates,â?? in an ornithischian dinosaur.

> > Their arguments against the filaments being collagen fibers are not

> > supported because of a fundamental misinterpretation of such

> > structures and underestimation of their size. The parsimonious

> > explanation is that the filaments are support fibers in association

> > with badly degraded scales and that they do not represent early

> > feather stages.

> > ==

> > Pascal Godefroit, Sofia M. Sinitsa, Danielle Dhouailly, Yuri L.

> > Bolotsky, Alexander V. Sizov, Maria E. McNamara, Michael J. Benton,

> > and Paul Spagna (2014)

> > Response to Comment on "A Jurassic ornithischian dinosaur from Siberia

> > with both feathers and scales".

> > Science 346 (6208): 434

> > DOI: 10.1126/science.1260146

> > http://www.sciencemag.org/content/346/6208/434.3.abstract

> > Lingham-Soliar questions our interpretation of integumentary

> > structures in the Middle-Late Jurassic ornithischian dinosaur

> > Kulindadromeus as feather-like appendages and alternatively proposes

> > that the compound structures observed around the humerus and femur of

> > Kulindadromeus are support fibers associated with badly degraded

> > scales. We consider this hypothesis highly unlikely because of the

> > taphonomy and morphology of the preserved structures.

Dann Pigdon