Fwd: Calanguban, new Early Cretaceous lizard from Brazil

Another blocked posting. I'll try again....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ben Creisler <bcreisler@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Subject: Calanguban, new Early Cretaceous lizard from Brazil
To: dinosaur@usc.edu

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new non-dino paper that may be of interest:

Tiago R. Simões, Michael W. Caldwell & Alexander W. A. Kellner (2014)
A new Early Cretaceous lizard species from Brazil, and the
phylogenetic position of the oldest known South American squamates.
Journal of Systematic Palaeontology (advance online publication)
DOI:10.1080/14772019.2014.947342
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14772019.2014.947342#.VAojZvldXTo

Squamates first appeared in South America during the Early Cretaceous.
The oldest confirmed record is from the Lower Cretaceous Crato
Formation of north-eastern Brazil. Unfortunately, our knowledge of
squamate diversity in the Mesozoic of South America, and Gondwana as a
whole, is extremely limited. This poses a barrier to our understanding
of the origin and radiation of early squamates on this continent. Here
we describe a new species – Calanguban alamoi gen. et sp. nov. – from
the Crato Formation which shows morphological adaptations for a
scansorial lifestyle. We also provide a phylogenetic analysis
inclusive of this species and of the oldest known lizard species in
South America, Tijubina pontei and Olindalacerta brasilensis. In an
attempt to identify the phylogenetic position of these taxa we used
two of the most recent morphological datasets for the phylogeny of the
Squamata that contain the largest fossil taxon sampling available.
Calanguban is a scleroglossan lizard, with scincomorph affinities,
making it the oldest non-iguanian squamate from South America, and
likely the oldest scincomorph lizard from that continent. Tijubina,
and possibly Olindalacerta, fall within, or are closely allied to,
polyglyphanodontids, a clade traditionally classified amongst teiioids
with a wide distribution restricted to the northern hemisphere.
Calanguban and the other Crato Formation species provide important
clues about Gondwanan scincomorph evolution and also raise new
questions on the origin of the first squamates in South America.