From: Augusto Haro <augustoharo@gmail.com>
To: Ronald Orenstein <ron.orenstein@rogers.com>
Cc: "dannj@alphalink.com.au" <dannj@alphalink.com.au>; "DINOSAUR@usc.edu"
<DINOSAUR@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2014 11:38 AM
Subject: Re: New findings Support Spinosaurus Sail as thermal regulator (My own
theory)

Can they also function as "fixed dorsal fins"?
Or, if meatier at the base, give the body a piranha-like laterally compressed
profile, for whatever hydrodynamic reason?
Or to increase the mass of epaxial musculature useful in undulate swimming?

However, I mostly bet on its fuction on display.

Dr. Augusto Haro
Museo de Paleontología
Universidad Nacional de Córdoba
CONICET
Vélez Sársfield 249
X5000JJC
Córdoba, Argentina

In living sailfish, from what little I have read on the subject, the sail may
serve multiple functions, from sexual signaling and (possibly) thermoregulation
to herding prey. The same could have been true in sail-bearing tetrapods -
there is no reason to suppose that there is only one "right" explanation for
their sails (any more than there is for bird wings), and the proximate cause of
their evolution could have shifted as they grew larger.