Re: Rhinorex, new hadrosaurid from Upper Cretaceous of central Utah (free pdf)

I would say that it is an annoyances, but largely a non-issue. I think trying
to restrict names to things that haven't been mentioned on the internet would
be a largely pointless endeavour. People are going to adopt all manner of weird
names on the internet, and the rules for taxonomic naming are restrictive
enough as it is without imposing a Google search on every potential future
name.

I think the best workaround to finding information on specimens online is to
use the full species names. To aid in this researchers and other interested
parties can make a point of discussing the new taxon in terms of its full
binomial. Frankly this should be done anyway regardless of how lax paleo is
with its generic names.

Regardless, adding more specific keywords to a search seems like the easiest
way to solve the "preoccupied by the internet" problem. I would think typing
in: Taxon X + group name (e.g., Rhinorex + dinosaur/hadrosaur) would probably
be enough in most instances.

Jason

http://reptilis.net