Re: Bird bones cells surface area + next-generation paleornithology + worm lizards and end-Cretaceous mass extinction

On Sat, Apr 4th, 2015 at 1:19 AM, Dan Chure <danchure@easilink.com> wrote:

> Relative to the amphisbaenian paper mentioned below, out of curiosity
> how extensive are the modern observations of vertebrate rafting across
> oceans?  I know rafting has been seen but there is a difference between
> finding an African vertebrate on a raft 200 km out into the Atlantic and
> a raft with an African verebrate 200 km off the coast of South America.
> Certainly small vertebrates would seem to be more prone to successful
> dispersal via rafting than larger ones.  Continental drift still plays
> into the rafting scenarios in that it can eventually move land masses so
> far apart that the distance, which via ocean currents may not be the
> shortest direct path, makes successful rafting effectively impossible.

The likelihood of a terrestrial species surviving long-distance rafting across
oceans would seem to
depend on the species involved. Small species that can drink salt water (small
cats, kangaroo rats,
salt marsh harvest mice, etc) would have a much longer window of survival, as
would ectotherms
that can survive longer on fewer resources (small lizards, snakes, etc).

Dann Pigdon