RE: Main characters of Dinosauria

Open acetabulum (hip socket): a good observable trait not present in the
immediate outgroips.
A long deltapectoral crest: the projection on the humerus for a major muscle
group.

Also, they did NOT die out at 66 Ma. Keep in mind, there aren't any more
unifying traits to non-avian dinosaurs than there are for
non-bat mammals.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216
http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
Fax: 301-314-9661

http://www.geol.umd.edu/sgc
Fax: 301-314-9843

                        Department of Geology
                        Building 237, Room 1117
                        University of Maryland
                        College Park, MD 20742 USA

(sauropsids)
> living from the middle Triassic (about 235 mya) till the end of the
> Cretaceous (66 mya). I would make a basic distinction between
> Saurischia and Ornithischia and esp.
> pointing to the paradox that "bird-hipped" dinosaurs are not ancestors of
> Neornithes. One could also mention three or more sacral
> vertebrae, upright posture, special joint in jaw, thecodontian teeth and many
> others. Size range from about 100 grams (Anchiornis)
> 100 metric tonnes (titanosaur sauropods). Very effective dual-breathing
> systém with air sacs, hollow bones in saurischians,
probably