Re: Deinonychus Morphological Variations within Ontogeny

Essentially all deinonychosaurs including Archaeopteryx have a strongly
laterally facing shoulder glenoid that allows a flapping motion of the arms.
Some of this information has been in the literature well back in time, I saw
it examining the Archareopteryx and Deinonychus specimens in the 80s. As I
diagramed in PDW, it is also true of some basal theropods, such as
Coelophysis. So there is no reason to doubt that dinobirds could flap their
airfoils.
Their glenoids did not face as dorsally as in more derived birds, so they
probably could not elevate their wings fully vertically. That would have very
probably limited aerial climbing performance -- including an inability to
achieve vortex inducing wing clapping that pigeons for example use to help
rapidly climb nearly vertically from a ground take off.

GSPaul</HTML>