Fwd: New Hualianceratops from Jurassic of China

OK, when I tried to forward this message with the added full
reference, it was blocked. Don't know what the problem is. I'll try
again

Fenglu Han, Catherine A. Forster, James M. Clark & Xing Xu (2015)
A New Taxon of Basal Ceratopsian from China and the Early Evolution of
Ceratopsia.
PLoS ONE 10(12): e0143369
doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0143369
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0143369

Ceratopsia is one of the best studied herbivorous ornithischian
clades, but the early evolution of Ceratopsia, including the placement
of Psittacosaurus, is still controversial and unclear. Here, we report
a second basal ceratopsian, Hualianceratops wucaiwanensis gen. et sp.
nov., from the Upper Jurassic (Oxfordian) Shishugou Formation of the
Junggar Basin, northwestern China. This new taxon is characterized by
a prominent caudodorsal process on the subtemporal ramus of the jugal,
a robust quadrate with an expansive quadratojugal facet, a prominent
notch near the ventral region of the quadrate, a deep and short
dentary, and strongly rugose texturing on the lateral surface of the
dentary. Hualianceratops shares several derived characters with both
Psittacosaurus and the basal ceratopsians Yinlong, Chaoyangsaurus, and
Xuanhuaceratops. A new comprehensive phylogeny of ceratopsians weakly
supports both Yinlong and Hualianceratops as chaoyangsaurids (along
with Chaoyangsaurus and Xuanhuaceratops), as well as the monophyly of
Chaoyangosauridae + Psittacosaurus. This analysis also weakly supports
the novel hypothesis that Chaoyangsauridae + Psittacosaurus is the
sister group to the rest of Neoceratopsia, suggesting a basal split
between these clades before the Late Jurassic. This phylogeny and the
earliest Late Jurassic age of Yinlong and Hualianceratops imply that
at least five ceratopsian lineages (Yinlong, Hualianceratops,
Chaoyangsaurus + Xuanhuaceratops, Psittacosaurus, Neoceratopsia) were
present at the beginning of the Late Jurassic.