Re: Attachment of stegosaurus plates

Not sure why they'd flop back and forth. Bakker's idea of wobbly
plates took a few plates and extrapolated across all of the
morphology. Moreover, it missed deep attachment and rigidity of
attachment. Easier to ask why your nails don't flop up and down.

Stegosaur plates are deeply embedded and/or have broad basal
attachment areas. These are contained within the deep dermis, not on
the top of the skin, and as such you're looking at a lot of
centimeters of nothing but dense collagen bundles firmly embedding the
plate into the body. The variability of the basal morphology likely
reflects ossification of these bundles and thus the tissues of
attachment are under high strain, in contrast to mobile, passive
objects prone to flopping hither and whither.

--
Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff: http://qilong.wordpress.com/

"Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth" - P. B. Medawar (1969)