RE: Apatodon in the Bone Wars

The best possible article I could find is:   Proc. U.S. Nat. Museum, XXXV', pp.
351-66.
Article is concentrated upon the comparison of the mounted carnivorous dinosaur
in the American Museum of Natural History with that of Marsh's restoration of
Allosaurus.

---- Mickey Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com> wrote:
> Thank you everyone!  That was exactly what I needed.  Apatodon is interesting
> because after 1890, basically all of its proposed relationships are
> ultimately based on a misunderstanding of one person's classification
> notation.  I'll be blogging on that soon.  Since it's lost, these early 1800s
> references are the only real information we have.
>
> Speaking of which, if anyone knows of a rumored paper from around 1900 that
> says Marsh confused a mammal/pig jaw with an Allosaurus neural spine, that
> would be the Holy Grail so to speak.  So far the only original references to
> Apatodon I've found are Baur (1890) and now this Meyer (1890) newspaper
> article, both of which merely say it was dinosaurian, not specifically
> Allosaurus (Olshevsky listed it as being the latter in 1991 though).  Thanks
> as always!
>
> Mickey Mortimer

> > Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 14:00:43 -0800
> > From: bcreisler@gmail.com
> > To: VRTPALEO@usc.edu; dinosaur@usc.edu
> > Subject: Re: Apatodon in the Bone Wars
> >
> > Ben Creisler
> > bcreisler@gmail.com
> >

> > Many thanks! I found one of the them on a quick search earlier but
> > didn't have time to download and check to find the other page. So for
> > people whose internet connection is not that great (my situation sort
> > of) and can't get the pages to open online, the pdfs to download with
> > a right click would be:
> >

> > http://fultonhistory.com/my%20photo%20albums/All%20Newspapers/New%20York%20NY%20Herald/New%20York%20NY%20Herald%201890/index2.html
> >
> > Meyer's letter:
> >
> > New York NY Herald 1890 - 0446
> >

> > Snarky editorial comment:
> >
> > New York NY Herald 1890 - 0459
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Mary Kirkaldy <mkirkaldy@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> If no one has replied yet, the articles are in pdfs 446 and 459.
> >> "Some More Nuts for Marsh to Crack" and "The War of the Professors".
> >>
> >> http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2014/New%20York%20NY%20Herald/New%20York%20NY%20Herald%201890/New%20York%20NY%20Herald%201890%20-%200446.pdf
> >>
> >> http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2014/New
> ork%20NY%20Herald%201890/New%20York%20NY%20Herald%201890%20-%200459.pdf
> >>
> >> Mary Kirkaldy
> >> --

*    This Mail List at USC.EDU only accepts PLAIN TEXT    *