Re: Feather barbs show history of flight

Great thoughts, Tim. I am pleased to finally see a vertebrate paleontology
paper out that treats primary feather asymmetry as a continuous character! Now,
when I give my “asymmetry isn’t dichotomous” talks I can at least cite one good
study on fossil birds that does it right.

My “trees to ground to air” model, presented at SVP in the fall, was my
personal attempt to set up a transition phase that matched the phylogenies and
known morphological patterns. The idea is that some semi-arboreal phases might
have pushed control and weight support, but secondarily less aerial lineages
might have been where flight stroke evolution mostly took place, under a regime
that essentially selected for strong burst performance. I don’t necessarily
think it’s better than the other models out there, but it was received pretty
well. The general sentiment I got after the talk was there is still a bit of a
“slow build” versus “fast build” split in the community on the flight stroke
(that’s anecdotal, though).

Cheers,

—Mike