Re: Lingham-Soliar compares BADists to evil and accuses us of fraud

Minor point.

Galileo was accused by the Roman Catholic church not of heresy, but of
the political "satire" in his book Starry Messenger. In this, he
criticized the stinginess of the Pope and various Vatican officials.
The book, nor indeed Copernicus', were treated as anything other than
persona non grata. Galileo repented on this point, which was a public
humiliation for his characterization of the officials. Note that the
Papacy was a politcal as well as a religious organization, and thus
its authority existed in both spheres.

TLS has a Galileo complex only in the feeling of subjunction of his
arguments, but in this he's completely wrong given the persistence of
his publications: He's given ear and space to voice his work, and
Springer has been the most willing participant as it has published
virtually ALL of his recent works in the last decade. Ostensibly
because it gives voice to the controversy.

I've not heard good things from this book, on either technical or
philosophical grounds, but haven't picked it up yet.

--
Jaime A. Headden
The Bite Stuff: http://qilong.wordpress.com/

"Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth" - P. B. Medawar (1969)