Re: Darwin's "living fossils" and the 1856 pterodactyl hoax

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A further clarification on the "living fossil muscles [mussels]"
mentioned by Lhwyd in 1699 in the 1710 Philosophical Transactions.

The find was made near Flint in Flintshire, Wales (not in Ireland,
although the rest of the letter cited before was about Ireland). The
mention was evidently a follow up to this earlier letter.

Letter to Martin Lister, 26 June 1699

"I am told of some Muscles very lately found in this nieghbour by some
Labourers digging [–for] the Foundation of a House which containd living
Animals. The place is five or six miles from Sea: and I belive much farther from
any Muscles; but I must enquire further into the matter and shall dig about the
same place my self."

http://emlo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/profile/work/3f57722d-842b-4b7a-908d-f5437108327d

http://cofk2.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/culturesofknowledge/transcripts/lhwyd/1699_06_26_EL_to_Lister_G_212.pdf