[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]
Workshop Introduction to Geometric Morphometrics, July 27-31, Barcelona, Spain
Registration is open for the course "INTRODUCTION TO GEOMETRIC MORPHOMETRICS- 6
INSTRUCTORS: Prof. Chris Klingenberg (University of Manchester, UK) and Dr.
Jesús Marugán (UAM, Spain).
Dates and Place: July 27-31, 2014. This time the course will be held at the
beautiful rural house "Can Julià" (http://www.canjulia.org/?lang=en) , in
Barcelona province (Spain), with option to stay there during the course
Organized by: Transmitting Science and the Institut Català de Paleontologia
More information and registration:
http://www.transmittingscience.org/courses/gm/introduction-to-gm/ or writing
This course is entitled to teach the main concepts of shape analysis based on
landmark coordinates and its multivariate procedures, and how they can be put
into practice across any biological discipline in which the phenotype (form)
and its variation are the principal sources of information.
1. Introduction: Shape, size and biological morphology.
2. Morphometric data: Equipment, landmarks, outlines and surfaces.
3. Visualizing shapes and shape changes.
4. Looking at variation: PCA.
5. Distinguishing groups: CVA and discriminant analysis.
6. Symmetry and asymmetry.
7. Morphometrics in a messy world: outliers and measurement error.
8. Regression and allometry.
9. Covariation between things: PLS.
10. Morphological integration.
12. Phylogeny and comparative methods.
13. Putting things together: Combining analyses to solve biological questions.
14. Presentation of group work by participants.Please feel free to distribute
this information between your colleagues if you consider it appropriate.
With best regards
Soledad De Esteban-Trivigno, PhD.
Researcher at the Institut Català de Paleontologia Miquel Crusafont (ICP)
Edifici Z -ICTA-ICP- C/ de les Columnes s/n.
Campus de la Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona
E-08193 Cerdanyola del Vallès. Spain