Re: Dinosaurs were Not wiped out by a global firestorm ??

These studies confirm the findings of Douglas Nichols and Kirk Johnson and
in their exquisite book Plants and the KT Boundary.

In my opinion, the calculations that Douglas Robertson and his team have
developed - the ones that showed the entire earth would have suffered
broiler like heat in the hour after the impact - do not correspond well to
the fossil evidence. Their hypothesis DOES have great merit, as it comes
so close to explaining the pattern of extinctions, and should be further
tested. However it has weaknesses. Any evidence for charcoal has always
been hard to differentiate from normal cycles of wildfire. No doubt North
America was completely barren and scalded, but the lack of plant
extinctions, especially in the southern hemisphere, suggests that the
whole earth could not have been cooked.

The whole earth did, however, experience a catastrophe. The forests even
in Antarctica were leveled, but then recovered with no plant extinctions.
That catastrophe, and that gigantic disruption of primary productivity in
plant communities, was more than enough to cause the observed cascade of
faunal extinctions. In my opinion.

Jason Brougham
Senior Principal Preparator
American Museum of Natural History