Cratoavis, new enantiornithine bird from the Early Cretaceous of Brazil (free pdf)

Ben Creisler
bcreisler@gmail.com

A new paper in open access:

Ismar Carvalho, Fernando E. Novas, Federico L. Agnolín, Marcelo P.
Isasi, Francisco I. Freitas and José A. Andrade (2015).
A new genus and species of enantiornithine bird from the Early
Cretaceous of Brazil.(FAST TRACK)
Brazilian Journal of Geology 45 (2): 161–171
http://www.rbg.sbgeo.org.br/index.php/rbg/article/view/30304

pdf:

http://www.rbg.sbgeo.org.br/index.php/rbg/article/view/30304/19039

The fossil record of birds in Gondwana is almost restricted to the
Late Cretaceous. Herein we describe a new fossil from the Araripe
Basin, Cratoavis cearensis nov. gen et sp., composed of an articulated
skeleton with feathers attached to the wings and surrounding the body.
The present discovery considerably extends the temporal record of the
Enantiornithes birds at South America to the Early Cretaceous. For the
first time, an almost complete and articulated skeleton of an Early
Cretaceous bird from South America is documented.

NOTE: This is the fossil specimen that was first announced back in June:

Ismar de Souza Carvalho, Fernando E. Novas, Federico L. Agnolín,
Marcelo P. Isasi, Francisco I. Freitas & José A. Andrade (2015)
A Mesozoic bird from Gondwana preserving feathers.
Nature Communications 6, Article number: 7141
doi:10.1038/ncomms8141
http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2015/150526/ncomms8141/full/ncomms8141.html

****
Many thanks to Vahe Demirjian for bringing this new paper to my attention.